Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Closet Frugality Snob

I was reading in Psychology Today the other day that snobs are not people who have expensive tastes, but people who just think they're better than others for whatever reason.

This may seem obvious, but we all indulge in our own little brands of snobbery.  For example, some people who drive cars feel like they are somehow superior (maybe because they've made better economic choices and can afford a car and gas) to people who are forced to take a bus, while people who take the bus might feel that they are superior (maybe because they are making better economic choices to live frugally) to people who hog the road with their cars.  Numerous examples abound, in our choices of fashion, neighborhood, or even grocery stores or reading material.

For those of us who are on strict budgets, are making significant cutbacks, or are successful in engineering major lifestyle changes in efforts to not spend money, it's easy to fall into a sort of snobbery because of the challenges we've faced and the successes we've mastered.  As I mentioned in a previous post, being cheap is supposedly chic right now, and even movie stars are flaunting their frugality in conspicuous ways. After all, if I walk to work, it's because I'm more environmentally conscious, not because I'm cheap.  If I shop at a thrift store, I'm more frugal than someone who shops at Nieman Marcus, and I can take comfort in the fact.  If I forego dinner out with friends, then I can feel good about the fact that am more self-sacrificing, or have more self-control than those who went. I write a blog about not spending money; obviously I feel like I know more about than those who don't write blogs and buy candy instead.

Of course this type of thinking is ridiculous, and it's a dangerous pattern to fall into, no matter how good it makes you feel.  Of course we all need motivation, and if we are depriving ourselves to fit within our budgets, then seeing that path as superior is tempting, to say the least.  It's human nature.  But since it's human nature to be just a bit snobby about our choices, it's all the more important to realize when its happening and call ourselves out on the fact.

Spending money (or not spending money) is ultimately about choices. Everybody will find a slightly different balance between their spending choices and their saving choices.  If I choose to be miserly on bath accessories but indulge in second-hand electronics, does that mean I am being more frugal than someone who frequents happy hour but never buys books? Of course not, but when we make that choice and are subsequently left at home during the next night out, it's easy to make inaccurate comparisons. 

If you are a closet frugality snob, try seeking encouragement by talking with others and getting ideas by listening to their saving choices, rather than listening to their spending choices and letting yourself feel superior. 

Ok, I'm done preaching for now-- I'm off to laugh at all the people who don't save for retirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment